Sunday, May 2, 2010

"Junk food tastes so good because it's bad for you" - A Nonsensical Yin-yang

The title isn't my own creation. It's from a song called "Affirmation" by Savage Garden. In my opinion, it is one of the most meaningful lines ever written. It is a universal truth that is so hard to come to terms with, because it's so unfair.

Wouldn't the delight of eating a juicy barbecued chicken be a hundred times greater if burnt meat isn't carcinogenic (something that causes cancer)? Of course, not many people would stop eating barbecued meat for that reason. For instance, "Damn the cancer, I'll have that chicken" is what I would say. However, the truth still remains the truth. And that, according to me, is unfair! Why should barbecued chicken be bad for health in the first place?

Even the opposite is true, which makes it worse. Health foods taste so bad because they're good for you! Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit when I say that they taste so bad. My point is that they're not as tasty as a zinger burger, for example, are they? Would you exchange an "extra-large chicken supreme pizza with extra-cheese" for a bowl of oatmeal?

Why should such an irony even exist? Even Adam and Eve must have wondered why that tasty red fruit was forbidden!

Pardon me if you think that the previous sentence was in bad taste. I know that the 'forbidden fruit' is a metaphor with a deeper meaning. All I'm saying is, food should be exempt from yin-yang. I agree that yin-yang is a beautiful concept, but it should not be applied to food. A delicious barbecued chicken that isn't carcinogenic, and packed with all the health benefits of an oatmeal is what I'm talking about. Zero bad, all good. That's my dream, and I'm hopeful that I will live to see that change.

3 comments:

  1. Good Work Naveen....:) I came across a blog on "good eating habits" after a long time!:) Keep it up!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you so much..really appreciate your feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wondered why they had the apple there in the first place if it was bad. :P

    Cheerz!
    DN

    ReplyDelete